Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #18
cootcraig
Enthusiast
cootcraig began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd gen. Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Create non-fiction pamphlet on Linux?
Completely depends on what type of documents.
Have any sample images/documents of what you're aiming for?
Is this going to be text-heavy? Or are you going to create tons of images with floating bubbles, multi-page spreads? etc. etc.
I haven't fleshed this out much, but was expecting to start simple. Basically a simple technical memo with:

chapter,section,subsection outline organization
block quotes
anchor links
lists
images

No fancy layout for now.

For a few years I've been using a static html generator nanoc and pushed it to a hosted site. Nanoc gives me a framework to write with markdown and HTML. The above list is most of what I do with my nanoc based blog.

Quote:
Why did you choose LyX initially, just because you wanted a WYSIWYM editor? And you didn't know enough pure LaTeX?
Pretty much. I dabbled with LaTeX, but when I found LyX it did everything I wanted and was easy for me.

Quote:
But it is still VERY rough (and nothing close to something coming out of Calibre ODT/DOCX->EPUB, or as clean as Toxaris's EPUB Tools). Like I mentioned, it's pretty much just the XHTML that's been coming out of LibreOffice for a while now, just plopped into an EPUB wrapper.
That gives me some ideas to chew on.

Quote:
NotJohn brought up WordStar over the years.
Last time he brought it up, I pointed out emacs with "WordStar emulation mode":
Since cootcraig using vim, I assume there's something similar. (vim and emacs can do EVERYTHING!)
Over my career I careened between vim and emacs, but for many years I've stuck with vim. I guess vim is just a familiar text editor friend with benefits (add on helper scripts)

Since I'm a coder at heart I think my first attempt will be with

pandoc markdown -> pandoc -> epub
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote