View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
December 2015 Discussion: The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries (spoilers)

The Butler’s Christmas Eve” by Mary Roberts Rinehart didn’t seem like much of a mystery to me, as the ending was much too tidy, but it was a great and very enjoyable Christmas story. I really liked the headstrong characters, William the butler, the stubborn “old man” and the equally stubborn Sally. As a whodunit, it fails in my opinion, but the characters are so likable they more than atone for the lack.

The intro to “The Trinity Cat” by Ellis Peters led me to believe this was going to be a Brother Cadfael story (although I was wondering why it was written in first person). It wasn’t until one of the parishioners mentioned “a gramophone record for my little errand-boy” that I realized I wasn’t back in the Middle Ages.

The solution to the puzzle:

Spoiler:
I knew Connie was the culprit as soon as the cat jumped in her lap, but I didn't realize it was because the old lady kept catnip in her purse. I had assumed that's how she transported the liver she gave him, and that the liver smell lingered on the purse.

Favorite lines from this story:

• “And one mustn’t forget our dumb friends, either, must one?” said Miss Patience cheerfully. [Yes, I know she was speaking of animals, but I got a kick out of taking it the other way.]

• Unusual for [the cat] to be effusive, but when he did decide on it, it was always with someone who couldn’t stand cats. You’ll have noticed it’s a way they have. [True.]

• A kid’s crime, a teenager’s crime. Or the crime of a permanent teenager. They start at twelve years old now, but there are also the shiftless louts who never get beyond twelve years old, even in their forties.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-22-2015 at 06:27 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote