View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My thoughts on the tales I’ve read so far from The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries by Otto Penzler:

“The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding” by Agatha Christie.

Spoiler:
Enjoyable. In the spirit of the season, no one got killed in this Poirot tale.

“Gold, Frankincense and Murder” by Catherine Aird.

Spoiler:
Pleasant enough, but absolutely predictable, although this passage brought back many fond memories:

“Edward wants a model railway engine for his set.”

“Does he indeed?”

“A Hornby LMS red engine called ‘Princess Elizabeth,’ ” said Wendy Witherington readily. “It’s a 4—6—2.”

By the way, HONK if you understand the numbers in this passage!

“Boxing Unclever” by Robert Barnard

Spoiler:
This was a rather unusual mystery told from the point of view of the murderer. It was not so much a whodunnit but a whogottiduntoem. My favorite line was the response to the elderly actor’s retelling of an old fling:

“Certainly we had—what is this new film called?—a brief encounter. I have told you the morality of the theatre is not the morality of Leamington Spa or Catford. We happened to meet on Crewe Station one Saturday night, after theatre engagements elsewhere. I confess—sordid though it may sound—that for me it was no more than a means of passing the time, stranded as we were by the vagaries of the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway. But the thought did occur to me that I would be teaching this gauche young thing more gracious ways—introducing her to the lovemaking of an earlier generation, when romance still reigned, and a lady was treated with chivalry and respect.”

“I believe she told the News of the World it was like [expletive deleted] Old Father Time,” said Carbury to Martin Lovejoy, but so sotto was his voce that Sir Adrian was able to roll on regardless.

“The Proof of the Pudding” By Peter Lovesey.

Spoiler:
This is a pleasant tale that brings a fuller understanding of what it means to “drop a dime” on someone

“The Adventure of the Dauphin’s Doll” by Ellery Queen.

Spoiler:
Nicely done. Comus was a cool character. Loved Miss Porter’s description of lady-minute Christmas shopping frenzies: “A cat fight in a bird cage would be more Christian.”

“More Than Flesh and Blood” by Susan Moody.

Spoiler:
This one was a real chiller, and perhaps my favorite so far. A story of a man whose long search for his biological mother is finally rewarded. A truly heartwarming story of family, if your last name is Addams.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-21-2015 at 12:27 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote