View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
So out of the blue (or so it seemed to a newbie) I got a message about corrupted files and did I want to attempt to restore my DB. Well, yeah. So I punched the option, "Duh, sure, let's do it."

After many hours (12? More? Dunno. I gave up and went to bed), the following message appeared:

calibre, version 0.9.14
WARNING: Success: Restoring the database succeeded with some warnings click Show details to see the details. The old database was saved as: E:\Ebooks\CalibreBooks\metadata_pre_restore.db

Failed to restore the books in the following folders:

The unrestored books appeared to represent 407 MB, 1200 files, 549 folders, maybe upwards of 400 books. And also were in the beginning alphabetically of the calibre folders - like up through "Adam Robert."

Okay. So far my questions were: (1.) Sweet Mother of Pearl! Why did this happen? (2.) Does this happen often? (3.) How should I go about restoring my 400 books.

But then I open calibre and discover that my former total of approx. 60,000 titles is now down to 36,566. This isn't fun. I've dried my tears now, but I'm not sure what I should do next.

No it does not normally happen for a standard PC configuration.
Someone was Changing folder or File names inside the Library?

Carefully, not changing anything you see: Peek inside the Library folder.
Is there a Author folder that Calibre does not show?
Is the a Title folder inside?
Is there any files inside(Normaly cover.jpg, metadata.opf, 1 or more book formats)

Is the Library on a fixed (internal) drive?
Your drive may be failing (bad Blocks)
You have a rogue Anti-virus program (you should exclude your Library, the books would normally be checked before import)

Rebuild scans the library folders for the metadata.OPF file Calibre made.
If that is missing, rebuild may not recover all the books CALIBRE metadata
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote