View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
In the US it's called contributory infringement. IIRC, it's settled Federal case law; see the 2600 Magazine article on Wikipedia. Personally, I fall more into the "abolish or radically change copyright side of things," but I don't represent this forum. The moderators OTOH do, and they are perfectly correct to protect the forum and its owners from legal harassment.
But is it a fellony?

I do understand why MR doesn't want to "recommend" (I don't remember the correct english term) copyright infringement, but why not state "This link seems to be a website containing illegal material, so therefore we will not condone its content and use.

Just stating: "illegal, link deleted" gives me a police state feeling (and it's the second time i've seen it done today). When I also couple that with HarryT's opinions regarding copyright infringement in the discussion "Book piracy, is ebook piracy on the rise", I get the shivers.

If the moderators here are people without any understanding of the different sides of the copyright/piracy debate, then well, I don't want to condone those opinions, peoples or websites.

Though, too their defence, it's an important (and in many aspects) good work their doing here.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote