View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
To answer your question about helping with an ebook project, I can suggest distributed proofreaders.

http://www.pgdp.net/c/default.php

I sometimes help out here.

As for Great Expectations, I did not like it in high school at all. I suppose it's possible that the book has literary merit, but basically it was dull as dishwater. Looking back, I've come to the conclusion that teenagers aren't really ready for the "literature" teachers think will expand their minds. Maybe if I'd read it now, I'd think it was awesome, but I'll never find out. All I remember from Great Expectations was that crazy lady in a wedding dress. Oh, and not caring at all about any of the characters or what happened to them. That really stands out.

I'm glad you're enjoying the novel and please forgive my complaining. It's just the combination of the words "Great Expectations" launches me into a fit of complaining. I have a theory that English teachers choose this novel so that kids will be DIScouraged from reading.

As an English teacher currently certified in English, Reading, Drama, and Speech (7-12) and also as an adjunct Professor of English, I can definitely state that there are good teachers and there are bad teachers.

Any teacher who cares about the education of children (or teenagers/adults on the university level) and can learn how to teach and present literature (and reading) in an interesting and creative way that allows students to connect their lives to the reading experience can be great teachers.

It is disingenuous to suggest that teachers want to discourage the reading of "Great Expectations" in order to discourage the process of reading. However, having said that, there certainly are some bad teachers - teachers who flaunt their educational background and assume an air of superiority when they teach. This is unfortunate, but it happens.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote