Thread: Touch Kobo with Linux
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The firwmare updates are easy to install in Linux. Unfortunately, Kobo never provides the download link, so you have to hunt these forums for the info. However, for the Touch, it's as simple as unzipping the update file into the .kobo folder of your device. When USB is disconnected, the update is installed.

I don't know of any way to register the device for DRM books without using Windows at least once. However, as you've already noticed, ADE works well with Wine, and Kobo books can be downloaded for ADE. From there, DRM removal software can extract the ADE key, and thereafter, be used to unencrypt books right into Caliblre for management, if you wish. (or even manage without calibre, whatever.) It's an added hassle to the front end of purchase, but I think it's the only way to save yourself much more pain and grief in the future when it's time to migrate e-book platforms. If you absolutely must give money to purveyors of DRM, I think that's the only way to go.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote