View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You are well on your way toward your goal. You already embrace open standards. (Although I tend to favor Monkey Audio (APE) over FLAC.)

HTML is the choice ebook format for many people. I just checked and many of the ebooks I have are in RTF format. Project Gutenberg (the source of many of my files) favors TXT and HTML. As you have noted, the key is to keep the ebook in a format that is not device dependent and can be read by many different programs both now and in the future. Locked formats like Sony's LRF or Microsoft's DOC do not offer this protection.

Depending on where you live your rights to digitize your books will vary. In the US we have a "fair use" policy that grants me the ability to digitize a work; but, no rights to distribute that copy. I understand that in the UK they are forbidden from even digitizing the books that they own a physical copy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote