View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenP View Post
Go look at Robert Heinlein books and their price as out of original copyright items. I have early published ones that I could scan and then share with a friend. Is that piracy?

From a legal view, how could what you did be proven? It was free at one time and who can say when you obtained it.
I like to use the 'Borland" (software) copyright license as an example [before there were e-books] on sharing/multiple installs
"Like a book, it can only be used in a single place at any time"
You are making a COPY when you scan / format convert. In reality, you have divided (split up) your license between the formats.
IMHO If you 'lend', you need to lend ALL together to have a whole license to read

Pirating is when you go against the License issued to you.
BAEN free books are still under copyright. The license is explicit in what you are allowed to do and your 'duties' if you do make-give copies. #1 is No Charge
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote