View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #60
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The reviewer asserted -- rather defensively, I thought -- that Saramago's unconventional style was most certainly not the issue.

However, after examining a few of the novels, and reading the first thirty or forty pages of Blindness, I'm convinced the reviewer's referring to Saramago's odd punctuation and use of title case after commas. At first, Saramago's conventions look decidedly more incorrect than, say, Celine's or Goytisolo's -- LeGuinn mentions being put off by this in her introduction -- so I'd imagine the reviewer never bothered to look past their initial reaction to the unfamiliar.

Admittedly, someone like Pynch or Harry could have done a better job of formatting this collection, but it's certainly a respectable ebook in its current form and, in my incredibly humble opinion, the best ever posted in MR's bargain forum.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote