View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #21553
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You do know that Daddy-long-legs aren't spiders? Count the legs - six! Real name is the Crane Fly. There, don't you feel better now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another case of being separated by a common language. In the US, "daddy long-legs" is usually used for harvestmen. Which have eight legs, but aren't spiders.

But in this case, it must be being used for a cellar spider, since harvestmen don't have silk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Could be. I just assumed that because Rumpelteazer is in Europe, it would be the same daddy-long-legs. My daughters hate them as much as spiders (the Crane Fly, I mean). For some reason, they seem to evoke the same visceral response.
We call them "hay wagons" in Dutch. They have a body the size of the head of a pin and long, thing legs. There used to be colonies of them (or similar looking spiders) on the outside of our vacation home, especially on the side of the house that was always in the shadow.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote