View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #263
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poremskyi View Post
Dear all:

I've written a review of my (rather disastrous) reading experience with reMarkable on Medium.

There are lots of things to be unhappy about, and my central point is that the device is not good for _reading_.

I hope it will be helpful to those potential buyers who are still thinking whether or not to buy the device.

Your feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dmytro
I've come to the same conclusion -- I've gone back to my Kindle Voyage as my main reading device.

The killer for me was the reader app would constantly forget my place in the book. I'd come back to continue reading and it would open to page 1. Sometimes, when I went to the page view it would advance to somewhere close to where I left off, but other times that too would show page 1.

It did seem to be somewhat book related -- some books it would remember the last location 50-60% of the time, others it was close to 0%.

Couple this with the lack of any internal bookmarking (the "Bookmark" function on the main screen really should be called "Favorites" -- it just flags files, not positions in the file) made it it pretty much unusable for regular reading.

It also seemed to have trouble with some ePub books -- books I bought from StoreBundle, etc. would sometimes render strangely. Sometimes, loading the mobi version in to Calibre and doing a conversion there would help (but not always).

Since this is software, I am hoping that a future update will correct this and make it a usable e-reader. And the note taking/drawing function is still great but it now means I need to carry another device (my Kindle) so the reMarkable's usefulness has gone done a notch.

Really hope they can fix this.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote