View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
munim
munim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here are my impressions from the original thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munim View Post
Hey guys,

I received my Aura HD this afternoon, it's literally the first e-reader I have touched, much less used. Given that background, here are my thoughts:

Physically it has nice build quality, no creaking or untoward sounds when handling it normally. Rapping on the rear of the device makes a hollow sound, which is obvious and acceptable considering the way it's made. The shape of the rear makes the device comfortable, as is widely reported. The only thing I find strange is the red color of the power button/slider, but really I don't care too much about it.

The screen looks great, as I would expect an e-reader to look. I find the page transitions to be disconcerting, however. I was expecting an animation like I've seen on reading apps on full-on tablets. I suppose that's impossible for these displays? The responsiveness of the display is alright, the touches are always detected immediately but there's a lag between the touch and the screen displaying that the key has been depressed (in the case of the on-screen keyboard).

The glow / light feature of the screen is really good, it's very easy on the eyes and uniform as far as I can tell. It has a light blue hue.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Edit: One thing though: the screen displays an inversion of the black and white screen elements when the whole or a portion of the screen is changed like in the video I've uploaded here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGpl_K4-Hg
Is this normal for e-readers?
One thing I'd like to amend is the build quality, there's something inside the device that's moving back and forth. If I shake it back and forth, I can hear something smacking the front and then the rear. Externally everything looks as it should.

I'll file a warranty claim down the line, it will probably be useless right now because a) it's the first week and I'm sure their supply is already strained and b) maybe this is bad batch and they'll fix it later.

Can anyone else see if theirs also makes the sound?
munim is offline   Reply With Quote