View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
The eye strain is sort of related to the technology but sort of not. The root cause of eye strain is flicker rate. The flicker rate of CRTs, LEDs, and OLEDs and even fluorescent lights bothers some people (like me). US monitors generally flicker at 60hz, but can go to 70hz by changing a setting either on the monitor itself, or from the OS, higher if you want to pay a premium. So, I've never head of the TYPE of screen being an issue, but the flicker rate is. So try to find a reader/monitor with a higher flicker rate over 70mhz. For those who suffer eye strain, 70mhz is often not high enough, but the "faster" monitors can be quite expensive and hard to find in the US.

I use a program called Flux on my Windows PC and it removes blue tones throughout the day, and automatically removes more blue tones from the screen later in the day. I can set it the way I want and it does help decrease my eye strain. But still, I do have to take breaks and use eye drops to lubricate my eyes.

Last edited by crankypants; 02-21-2016 at 10:19 AM.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote