Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
While I agree that it's up to each writer to discover their method and the majority in this thread are pantsers, I prefer to outline using Word's Outline view. This gives me a skeleton of the elements of the plot, which can be easily changed, or new ideas incorporated, along the way. I can only "pants" flash fiction, even with that, I find myself running out of inspiration after about 500 words. I need direction from a pre-worked out plot and characters.

If you don't outline, how do you cope with things like research? ...
I'm probably a bit strange on research. I start writing a draft, and if there's something I don't know (the name of something, for instance) I write "TK" in the manuscript and keep writing. I got this idea from Cory Doctorow. Later, after finishing the chapter, I can go back and look those things up. In Word, it's easy to search for "TK" and not get a bunch of false positives.

I've expanded this idea out to how I handle research as well. Since I don't outline, I don't always know what I'll need to research--I've got a good idea of where I'm headed, so I can do some research before writing, but mostly I make a note to research things after I'm done with the first draft of a chapter.

Sure, this gives me fits sometimes--I think a series of events could take place, and I write them that way, and research means I have to rework things, but it's very rare that it effects the major plot points. It's almost always very minimal stuff. Usually, I know the major plot points well before I get there, and I've researched enough before hand to handle those.

TL;DR - I do a little research beforehand on major plot points before the first draft, a lot on details (like colors of substances, names for architectural features, etc) after writing the first draft, and then I write the next draft.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote