Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Once I know that a character is going somewhere, then I will generally take time-out to read from a variety of sources before proceeding much further
If you were doing nano, the pressure to get words written would make this a very clumsy, time-wasting method. For nano, it's best to get all the research done before November. Also, generally speaking, if you wrote on regardless, just leaving a note to yourself to research an element which you later found to be very unlikely to be the case (as in the literacy of my farm labourer's daughter), the entire plot which you'd continued to write in spite of lack of knowledge would crash. Of course this wouldn't apply to sci fi, but even then you need to put in some world creation work pre-writing.

I just don't understand the "just start writing" notion and couldn't do it myself.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote