View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey_isler View Post
Hmm, interesting thread :-)

I have to say Atlas Shrugged is the worst novel I've read. Although I'm hardly a fan of Objectivism, I figured I'd give the book a fair shot and be...objective. But I found the book long, implausible, repetitive, and just plain difficult to read.
Hmmm, I just recently loaded that up on my eReader. I'll have to see if I agree with you.

Two books come to mind for me.

The Sword of Truth. Unlike edbro I like fantasy. But this book... just painful. The characters are... shallow? and fairly unintelligent. I just wanted to slap them. The dialog is terrible and caused me to quit reading it when I first tried a few years ago after about 100 pages in. A co-worker, whom I have given MANY books to read, said I should read it. As it was the first time he's tried to give me something in return I had to try. I got though to the end though I was just skimming though parts and it was a huge relief to get to the end. I'll never read another book in that, seemingly, never ending series.

Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony. I like other books Mr. Anthony has done but this was horrible. It was almost bad enough to try and keep going in a "it's got to get better right?" way. Looking it up on Amazon it looks like he's gone on for at least 6 books. I think I got only 30 or so pages in.

Oh... one more.

The Tyranny of the Night by Glen Cook. I loved the Black Company books and that caused me to give this a try. Wow... It's a great book to try and read when you are going to sleep as it will put you to sleep. It was like trying to read a history book but where I could really care less about who did what and where and also didn't have the background schooling to know where he was talking about having never heard of any of the places before. At least if I read a history book now I KNOW where France is. I gave this one up after 30 or so pages too.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote