View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Worst Book(s) You Ever Read?

I hope this isn't too negative but I usually give high marks to books that stick with me. Seriously, I'm a pretty easy-going book-rater, so I wracked my brains trying to think of books I really, really hated. These are those books:

Sweet Anger by Sandra Brown - Thank goodness I got this from the library. A guy breaks into your house and you're attracted to him? Seriously? That is where I stopped reading. I must admit I didn't finish the book.

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk - I was really struggling with the weird writing style of this book as it is supposed to be the first-person of a non-English speaker. Then the rape scene. Chaucer can get away with rape as a practical joke, Mr. Palahniuk. He lived in the Middle Ages and, even so, I didn't like that tale. You can not get away with it at all IMHO.

I didn't hate Tess of the D'Urbervilles as much as I hated the above two books but it annoyed me to no end when I had to read it in school. Books of that era about women written by men rub me the wrong way, I guess. I didn't like Madame Bovary, either. I loved Jane Eyre to the point of obsession, though, and thought Wuthering Heights was pretty good.

Another book I read in school I didn't like was Heart of Darkness. Unlike Tess, I didn't even finish that one and I was usually a pretty good student. I could not get into it or care about any character in it. It has been so long I can't really explain why. Maybe I should revisit it. After all, I liked Apocalypse Now.

Anyway, Pygmy and Sweet Anger are the only books I can remember hating in a visceral way.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote