Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #9743
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
OH! I know two of those.

12. Who created "Calvin and Hobbes"? Bill Watterson - my son loved Calvin and Hobbes and collected the books
Quite right
Bill Watterson wrote and drew the wonderful life of a maybe-a-little-too-imaginative boy and his fiery stuffed tiger and their adventures from 1985 to 1995. I love them - and miss them - too. Watterson now lives a very quiet life withdrawn from his audience. Calvin and Hobbes are, so far, his only comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
13. Who created the comic "Peanuts"? Charles Schultz - probably an American tradition and those cute holiday specials for Christmas (A Charlie Brown Christmas) and Halloween (It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown).
Indeed he did - Charles Monroe Schultz created Peanuts in 1950. The strip ran for half a century until Schultz died in 2000. Schultz has created one comic besides Peanuts. This strip ran from 1947 to 1950, In this strip we find a certain Charlie Brown, a very Snoopy-like dog, and it is accepted that this was Shultz' blueprint for Peanuts. Bonus points to whoever can name this strip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
4. Prince Valiant? Don't know of any others.
Harold Foster did draw the marvelous comic of Prince Valiant from 1937 to 1975, an american masterpiece. He continued to write the manuscripts until 1980. He died in 1982. Although Prince Valiant is considered his best work, he created one other comic prior to Prince Valiant. Bonus points to whoever can name that strip.
The Prince Valiant comic is now being re-issued by Fantagraphics based on the syndicate coloring proofs, preserved by Foster himself. Prince Valiant has never looked better than in this new edition, but the comic is stunning, even in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
13. Walt Kelly?
Spot on. Walt Kelly worked both for Disney studios and Dell Comics creating comics and cartoons on contract before drawing Pogo. Pogo is, to my knowledge, his only comic created by himself. After his death in 1973, his widow continued the Pogo comic

All the above have been rewarded with the Reuben award, the comic version of Oscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
6. Hergé created Tintin, I think. I don't know his real name, though
Hergé created Tintin, entirely correct. A very popular comic he wrote alongside at least two less-known comics. Bonus points to whoever can name these comics and Hergés real name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe Morris was responsible for Asterix.
Asterix was written by René Goscinny and drawn by Albert Uderzo. Morris had nothing to do with Asterix, but Goscinny wrote manuscripts for Morris from 1952 and to his death in 1977, which gives Morris' comic a tone and humour quite similar to Asterix.

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote