Thread: eBook resources
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
glop glop
glop glop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Thanks for the suggestions, yes I've signed up to Connect with false credentials, (isn't it crazy we have to do this?), I've also seen that there is a helpful member here who will buy vouchers. I've also seen the book conversion tools. But I have to say the range of books available to purchase even using these methods is woeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
P.P.S. I've just checked and the books you've listed are not available for purchase as ebooks.
Yeah, 100% of the books I currently want to buy are not available, that says it all, what a sad state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
P.S. You won't find anyone helping you get those book illegally. Just legally if they exist in ebook form for purchase.
Well I don't really want to get into an argument about what is stealing and what is not but I am just trying to get books I already own, they are sitting here right on my shelf, additionally they are books that are not being made available in ebook form. I am faced with 3 options :
  • Read the book in paper form (what did I buy a reader again for!)
  • Laboriously scan the book in myself, this seems pointless as I might as well just read the book itself and save destroying the book (again what did I buy a reader for)
  • Download it via a torrent site or such, given I already own the book in question I see this as fair, if I can find it paid I will buy it there and "support the format"

I am not blaming the eReader as such, as I say I think it is a great bit of hardware, it is the supply of eBooks that are at fault.

It's like buying an mp3 player but only being able to listen to music made over 90 years ago or a very limited subset of anything recent. For example can we buy the new Harry Potter eBook? Can we buggery. As I say it is a sad state of affairs and I have to say that to me it seems an eBook reader is not really a good purchase for an avid "reader".
glop glop is offline   Reply With Quote