Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #84
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for the link. The jokes are horrible and in horribly bad taste.

I read all the material before the jokes, which attempts to explain before presenting. About the link, I think it's important that jokes in bad taste be accessible for anyone who wants to read them, and on a web site that caters to what anyone perceives as "bad taste."

I find it interesting to examine the passionate comments following the post, which is a goldmine for critical analyses. One writer feels it's bad because one is an American; what about the one's killed who are not American?

I think smurphy hit upon something interesting: The more unreal the incident, he writes, the harder it is to take. I take "unreal" to mean actual reality, as opposed to (for example) a zombie doing something distasteful such as eating intestines in the famous "Night of the Living Dead." Smurfy also mentions that we need jokes of this nature, sometimes, in order to deal with the horror of the act[s]. I agree with this. Jokes of this nature - these horrible jokes in bad taste - do indeed offer (in my opinion) reality checks - but not on the person telling them - but on the pulse of a national psyche.

I think it would be truly interesting to read a dissertation that examines mob-developed fear and humor (in "bad taste" or not) when personal disasters occur at "home." I'm wondering if the more passionate we feel about something, perhaps the more illogically we argue for something?

Don