View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #461
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Jon, all books use hyphens, either correctly or (in the case of poorly prepared scans) incorrectly. How can you say there is no hyphenation in the books? Compound words like ten-year-old boy or hyphen-hating reader use hyphens correctly. But unless the incorrect hyphen shows up in the middle of the line or is blatantly wrong, there is no way to tell the difference between one added on the fly or one that has been incorrectly left in from a poorly edited scan, unless I turn off hyphenation, period. I also do not like it when nearly every line ends with a hyphenated word, which sometimes happens. I find it distracting. So I turn off hyphenation.
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes. Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen. I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote