View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
A pistole is the same as a louis? I just came across a point in the story where some amount of pistoles plus some other change (which I thought included louis) was converted to a larger sum of livres, and made a mental note to go try to find out what the relationship between these various coins was.

And, as I anticipated, I certainly have been enjoying the nicely formatted version more than the PG version with broken lines everywhere. What charming young idiots! (Even Athos comes across that way, sometimes.)
The pistole was originally a Spanish denomination, also referred to as a double escudo, I believe. France and Spain did a lot of trade 1500's and 1600's, so France struck Louis D'Or to the Spanish standard, as well as maintaining their own local currency (livres), which could be exchanged back and forth. In the 1800's and early 1900's, some Latin American countries did the same with English pounds (gold) and French 20 Francs (gold). Peru made some very pretty trade coins...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote