View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Neilson, William Allan (editor): Shelf of Fiction Vol 3 Ver 1. 9 Jan 2014

HARVARD CLASSICS SHELF OF FICTION, VOLUME III includes 2 Novels.

The first is A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy By: Laurence Sterne was first published in Ireland 1768. It is among the very first travelog fiction books and as such it legitimized this whole genre. It was very popular in its time and follows a real travel by the author.

As an 18th century story this book has considerable spelling differences that have been maintained in this edition.

The second Novel is the well known Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. This book was first published in 1813 in London. The spelling is much closer to the words we use today but there are still several differences both due to 19th century and to British differences. The source had punctuation differences in that all but a comma and a period were preceded with a space. I have modernized this so that eBook readers will deal with it better. It just looked strange to me. In the original letters and other included documents were a smaller font with the same margins. In the interest of eBook reading I left the font the same size and indented the paragraphs to use the modern blockquote method.

This is the original 1917 edition of the Shelf of Fiction Vol 3 and includes biographies, reviews and criticisms of the stories. Spelling is U.S. for this section. Please let me know of any errors you find. More information on these novels are available in wikipedia.

As there are two books and the travelog used exceptionally short chapters intended to appear on 1 or 2 pages most of the time and even Jane Austen made many very short chapters, I have elected to make the chapters in both books appear without starting a new page. In my opinion this displays better on the various size eBooks available to minimize nearly empty pages and lots of page turns. Occasionally in Pride and Prejudice the eBook version forced a new file on a chapter boundary if the size of the files were getting too big. This effort was done in Atlantis Word Processor and converted to ePub and then to Amazon formats. AWP automatically broke the files to conform with the standard. There are all h2 headings and the CSS could be modified easily if you prefer to force each chapter to a new page.

There are two uploaded versions. The mobi file includes both KF8 and KF7 versions of the book for all Kindle readers and other mobi readers. The source was stripped to minimize the size. The second is an AZK file specifically for iOS devices. It has an extra .zip extension to make it a legal upload. Rename it to remove the zip extension. DO NOT unzip it. To get this file to your iOS device you will need to side load it via iTunes to the Kindle reader.

Enjoy.
Dale
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote