View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Getting off-topic but chiming in anyhow as this is one of my pet peeves. Every year I have to use vacation days because I won't work on Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. Those are the two most important Jewish holidays. Even though I am not very observant, I can't imagine going to work on those days. The Christians that I work with don't have to use vacation time for their two most important holidays (Christmas and Easter) because our company is closed on those days. I sometimes take time off for Passover, but that's usually to travel to a family Seder in another city, not because I won't work during that holiday. Hanukkah is a minor holiday - it doesn't occur to me to take time off.

On the other hand, Hanukkah is traditionally a gift-giving holiday and has become even more so due to its proximity to Christmas, so Sony is correct: "The holidays" = "the season when people spend money on gifts (whether or not they celebrate Christmas)".

Hmm... maybe I'll ask for a PRS700 for Hanukkah this year. Or (getting back on topic) a gift card to the "expanded" Sony Connect Bookstore
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote