View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebane View Post
So, being perhaps too enthusiastic I went and bought a Latin and a Hebrew dictionary on amazon [...]
You can download a free Latin dictionary from MR that will work as a popup dictionary, if the language code of the .mobi file is set to English. Hebrew (and other non-Latin alphabet) dictionaries don't work as lookup dictionary.

Quote:
I recall reading somewhere that amazon provides some 6 default dictionaries (en, de, fr, pg, sp, ?) - and they show indeed on my kindle account - that can be activated as default dictionaries for respective languages and that then do pop-up, and that apart from these, nought will work.
I cannot find this info anymore.
On a Kindle 3, there's a Settings > Change Primary Dictionary option that you can use to select the default dictionary for a language, if the several dictionaries for the same lookup language are available. You can test this with the Latin dictionary, which should show up as an English dictionary (because there'e no Latin language code).

Quote:
(E.g. I have a french text that Kindle insists using an English dictionary on).
Most likely the language code of the French text was set to English or it was a .pdf file.
You can display the language code of documents and dictionary input languages with Mobi Meta Editor.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote