View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
the question has been asked many times but Kobo support staff seem most reluctant to discuss the possibility of an SD card image being provided.

I asked staff at A&R over the phone today and they have simply suggested contacting Kobo technical help. This certainly does not instill me with any degree of confidence, though I did send an email.

I am truly not keen to go down the USB path with the increased risk of bricking my investment. The firmware updates I have done in the past were all simple files and not via USB.
Thanks for the response. It does seem rather strange, and given that some people who have experienced failed upgrades/issue have been sent a SD card to reflash their Kobo proves they certainly have the procedures in place.

I too do not like the idea of requiring the use of USB to perform an update, and I especially do not like the idea of the software being required to do it (we all know how many times a piece of software can crash for no apparent reason).

Perhaps the underlying reasoning for forcing people to update via USB/software is so Kobo can control the firmware update procedure ie: Updates more of an incremental update resulting in the inability to reflash back to a previous firmware. Who knows, perhaps I have been spoilt by my reader which allows me to flash any firmware version at any time (and even from other vendors). I am still interested in the Kobo (the price is damn attractive), but if as a Linux user I am unable to perform maintenance on a Linux-based device.....kind of ironic
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote