View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It didn't register till now, but, wow, these books all seem like they're going to be real downers for the holiday season.
Agreed Catlady - pretty dismal. I think that’s why I voted for fewer this time round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like Christmas movies--old ones, anyway; I ignore the sappy Hallmark-type ones. It's not Christmas without George Bailey and Clarence the angel. I also almost always watch Miracle on 34th Street and The Bells of St. Mary's too. Usually I just catch bits and pieces of the other classic Christmas films, preferably the B&W ones (I do love Meet Me in St. Louis, though).

And I LOVE Charlie Brown!
Agree again. It’s Charlie Brown, same cloth as Eeyore, so we’re supposed to take the down bits with a grain of salt, and go with the music

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm sort of hoping that The World Without Us will not be a downer (I've already bought it). Aside from the starting premise that we humans are gone, I'm really hoping that what follows is sort of hopeful, that the world could recover from us, because if that is still true then maybe we humans could find our way to doing some of that healing while we are still here.
Oh, the book is definitely a downer . But there’s every reason to hope the Earth will survive our demise, and so will life. Mass extinctions and global recoveries have happened many times before.

PS: I agree that the book has a hopeful purpose; to bring home the realization that we aren’t “destroying the earth”; we’re destroying our habitat.

Last edited by Victoria; 11-09-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote