View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeesh, what a dreary looking collection of books. I've read 7 of them, and never even heard of a large chunk of them. Oddly, I never read a lot of the books that people seemed to be required to read in high school even during the time I was going through high school. I can't remember which, but I know there's several that were pretty common that for some reason we never did.

Interesting to see Killer Angels on the list. That's probably one of the books that most affected me in high school (and it wasn't even a required reading, as I recall it was one of several different books we had an option of, and wasn't an english class). Up to that point, I had zero interest in civil war history, and had absolutely despised getting dragged around by my parents to see all the various civil war sites around where we live (We lived in Virginia at the time). Gettysburg especially was pretty boring to me. After reading that book, things kinda clicked for me, and I suddenly found myself far more interested in what had happened. Ironically, I've never really made it back to too many of the civil war sites since then, but I'd really love to make it back to Gettysburg some day, because I'd have a far better appreciation for what happened there now.

My worst reading experience in high school was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Out of a number of books that I despised reading (including The Great Gatsby, Sons and Lovers, and some Doestyevsky (however it's spelled) book), that one rises to the top as one I never want to ever see again.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote