View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since Lolita gets nominated and always brings up the issue that it's a book of pedophilia and not a romance book, why nominate and then 2nd/3rd it? (IMHO), I would be thinking that the people doing so have some sort of affinity for the subject given that it's been said in no uncertain terms that's it's not romance. This may not be true, but it seems that the people behind this book want the controversy. They have been around long enough to know this book won't go without comment and discussion/argument. So really, we have nobody to blame but them (IMHO).
Since I nominated it, I'll answer your question and respond to your allegation.

I nominated Lolita because it's worth reading and because I don't care for popular contemporary romance. Whether or not it (or any other book) is chosen is up to the membership. Long odds on any one book and I don't read much into the process, win or lose.

It's offensive to suggest that interest in Lolita implies a penchant for pedophilia. Just the same, I'm not offended. I assume you don't really believe that, or if you do, it says more about you than it does about anyone with an interest in the book.

What does offend me is the notion that somehow it's inappropriate (and ideally, censorable) to read a work considered one of the greats of the last century. I refer you to fantasyfan's excellent post above.

As for the controversy, if you're looking to blame and it seems you are since you use the word, I think it's down to one person. Naming no names. Reasonable discussion, pro and con, on a book's merits and whether or not it fits a category is illuminating and part of what I had in mind when I nominated Lolita. Rants and imputations of perversion and demands for rulings and censorship are what create controversy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote