View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
I just saw a notice that this summer my local library will be getting the Overdrive lending service. Sounds exciting!
What are peoples experiences with Overdrive?
How do you get the book to your kindle? from amazon? your computer?
Do you need special software for overdrive???

so many questions...
If you use a Kindle it's easier than if you need epub, but neither is difficult.

You browse/search for the book you want. If it is available, you can immediately put it into your cart/selections (whatever they call it), check it out, and click on "get for Kindle" which whisks you away to Amazon where (for the most part) you can tell it what device or app to deliver it to. (The exception is Penguin, where you have to download it to your computer encoded for your Kindle and then sideload it to your Kindle.

After the lending period is over you can't open it anymore and can buy it from Amazon, delete it from your Kindle library, or just let it sit unopenable on your Kindle library--your choice.

If the book you want is not available, you put a hold on it and go ahead and read something else. They email you when it's ready to check out.

I use it a lot. The browsing interface isn't the best and the collections can be limited, but there's a lot of good books out there.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote