View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #633
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
I have noticed that with some - not all - of the last few books that I have converted, when first opened, they all point to the 100% of the book (and they show the cover of the book), instead of 0%.
After examining the books you provided I was able to determine the cause of the problem.

As the first step in converting a book to KFX the plugin first does a conversion to EPUB, even if the original format was EPUB, in order to update metadata and fix common problems.

It seems there is a problem in calibre's EPUB-to-EPUB conversion that occurs when the cover is replaced if the original cover page is referenced from within the book. In that case a new cover is created at the start of the book and the original cover winds up appended to the end of the book. (Technically the old cover is removed from the spine of the book, which causes it to appear at the end when converted.)

In the books you provided the cover page was set as the start reading location for the book. That reference triggers the conversion bug, causing the original cover to move to the end of the book. And because the original cover was specified as the start reading location, the book opens at the end where that page is now located.

Because the problem is not within the plugin I cannot fix it. As a work around you can edit those books to remove the code in the OPF that sets the start location. It will be something like:

<reference href="cover.xhtml" title="Begin Reading" type="Text"/>

Last edited by jhowell; 05-20-2019 at 04:41 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote