View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #284
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w:

Great, that seems to concur with my findings on the H2O .
And yeah, without dithering on our end, JPG does the job okay for B&W, and the difference in file-size vs. PNG is minimal, and can swing both ways depending on the content. (I think I mentioned that I messed up my previous batch of JPG tests by starting with a completely mangled over-compressed JPG? That heavily biased my previous results in favor of PNG. Not this time ;p.).

Yeah, to be honest, I only caught the Forma thing by doing the tests (well, I had noticed the size inconsistency when updating the patch, but that's it), before delving into it, things generally looked okay-ish . But it does favor doing as much processing ourselves for now (especially since I couldn't get it to do the dithering on its own ).
You'll see that I tried to feed it an A1-sized image, and the results are not much better, so I went against it, as it mangled dithering a tiny bit more.

P.S.: Ahaha, I'd completely forgot about the button thing, I'll add that the to TODO list .

EDIT: Updated the patch after another review pass . Made things slightly simpler, and the new settings hopefully fool-proof .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote