View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #279
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm on 4.9.11314 (on a H2O), yeah.

I'll read through your thread, and double-check how the top 11px are handled now, compared to how that was done before (a quick glance yesterday told me *something* was still done, but I didn't have time to figure out exactly what).

I'm also using the larger Home/Library covers patches, which I realize is now probably counter-productive with this, since it potentially forces another layer of crappy scaling on top of now-dithered content, which is not that great...
I'll have to ditch those and see if that hunch is correct, too . (Although, admittedly, I care much more about sleep covers that Home/Library thumbnails).

EDITē: Okay, turns out they're still shown smaller than the resolution of the thumbnails, so, patches are unlikely to change anything, we're always gonna suffer from a downscaling effect there.

EDIT: Okay, quick question for you: for what I gather, you were essentially doing what I'm doing with the "letterbox" option here, except with a dynamic median color instead of black bars, right? Were you also using dithering, or just a full grayscale?
If dithering, was it "automatic" dithering (i.e., palette selection done by the image processing), or a fixed palette?
Were you computing the median before or after the dithering step?
And, if dithering, PNG or JPG?

From what I remember of my experiments doing exactly this on Kindle, waaaaay back in the day, you had to do things in a certain order not to wreck everything (I'd say: remap + dithering -> median -> letterbox, so that the letterboxing uses a color that's on the palette, instead of computing a potential "new" one, which can happen if dithering wasn't done with a fixed palette).

As the state of the ScreenSavers hack attests to today, I personally settled on simple black bars, I was never quite satisfied with the dynamic colors approach. It sometimes looked somewhat better, but it sometimes looked alien. Black bars have the advantage of never being really terrible . It was certainly interesting to experiment with, though .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote