View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #278
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, 3 years late, but I finally ported my dithering patch to the 'new' codebase .

No longer needs to patch C code thanks to @kovidgoyal's work .
Especially glad about that bit, because I utterly failed at making Qt5 give me anything I'd have liked (i.e., dithering ).

To make it perfect, we'd basically need Nickel to switch to PNG and to stop doing crappy processing/rescaling when it's not needed, so, probably as good as it's going to get .

EDIT: Crazy 3 AM test seems to point to the fact that Nickel does indeed handle those files being saved as PNG... Yum!

EDITē: Yup, works fine, looks much better . Might even be pixel-perfect for the sleep cover on devices where there's no hidden pixels... (But as I have an H2O, sadly, that's not me, there's still stupid scaling involved because of these 11px on top...).
Hi NiLuJe,

Did you test your prototype on fw 4.9.11311/11314? The reason I ask is that 'something bad' happened to screensaver display in this latest firmware.

If I open any .kobo-images/xxx - N3_FULL.parsed file in IrfanView on the PC, the grayscale dithering looks OK to me.

As I outlined in this recent short thread (post #15 onward), prior to fw 4.9.11311/11314, regarding grayscale banding, the screensavers looked very good on KA1, pretty good on H2O and pretty bad on GloHD/ClaraHD.

fw 4.9.11311/11314 seems to be an "equal opportunity" release. Grayscale banding is now equally bad on all 4 devices. The screensaver .parsed images were all in situ before the fw upgrade and have not changed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote