View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Frankly, I don't believe that figure. I haven't read the report, so I might be wrong about that. But the figure simply isn't plausible. If they're talking about the entire Internet population of the UK, I doubt if 1% have even read an ebook, much less downloaded one, legally or otherwise. And, of those who have downloaded, I suspect the majority don't know whether they did so legally or not.

I'd also question what sample they used for their research. So many of these studies are based on surveys carried out on-line, from people who happen to visit a certain website. That is not a cross-section of the population. It is a self-selected group that happened to come across the survey and were inclined to respond.

Mike
It says that 9% of the people who "consume books" (I'm hoping that means read them rather than eat them) do so from unauthorised sources, and that 10% of all ebooks consumed are from unauthorised sources.

Not a vast amount, I don't think, when you compare it with the number of second hand paperbacks that change hands multiple times. Does anyone know what percentage of paperbooks are bought new?

Also ... 57% of the downloaders are ABC1, which is middle to upper class, so it's obviously not being driven by price. It also says downloaders spend more on books than non-downloaders, presumably after finding a new favourite writer by downloading a title free?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote