View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #35
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
B&N is smart to devote some real resources to promoting the Nook on home territory. They have a network of over 2000 B&N stores -- it's good to see the commitment of substantial display space. The buying season really ramps up in late summer so their timing is appropriate.

I certainly won't be buying a Nook, but, then again, B&N refuses to sell me one in Canada, or any e-books. However, the US as a stand-alone market is certainly worth fighting for and, I suppose, other territories might follow.

Then there are other retail outlets: Best Buy for one. Both Nook models appear to be widely in stock in stores (using BB stock checking tool) so if you want one, you can easily get one. In contrast, Kindles are in Target and HMS Host (111 airports around the world); arguably Best Buy is a more logical venue. Having said that, there is no evidence of Kindle at Target's website ... but lots of models and accessories from Sony.

While Amazon is doing everything it can to claim dominance, B&N has significant opportunities for the remainder of the year and taking steps like these nationwide kiosks suggest it is in for keeps. Competition is good.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote