View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
- - - -
You had said in an earlier post in here that there may be some ways to replace uboot on this device, where he cannot load bist.
- - - -
I do not know if it will meet the requirement: "cannot load bist".
Or more to the point: "cannot start external RAM" (which was the root problem here).

The amount of on-board (static) RAM is rather small.
You have to have either a program sized to run in that tiny static RAM or already programed in the internal ROM that can accept and set the hardware data it takes to start external RAM.

IIRC, the i.MX6_Loader program is that solution.
It can 'talk' to the daemon programmed in the internal ROM of the i.MX6 series of chips.
Somewhere around here we have a build (or builds) of i.MX6 loader posted.

I don't know of any way to get the i.MX6 loader deamon to run, other than have u-boot fail to load.
U-boot is checksummed, if the ROM code is testing the checksum, it should only take destroying the checksum (one byte change in the installed u-boot binary) to force it to start.
**should** - I don't have a clue if it will.

Then at a slightly higher level, there is a special "USB i.MX6 Bootstrap" file/application.
Buildroot(.org) build system will build a version for the i.MX6SL SoC.
Hmm...
It might also build i.MX6_Loader for you.

There should be a lot to find on the subject in the Buildroot.org mailing list archives.
I used to follow that ML, but unsubscribed 6 months or so ago.

= = = =

I know it sounds like: "poor mouthing" but I really do not have the hobby time available it would take to do anything about this area of discovery.

When the Kindle Touch first appeared on the market, a Wiki page was started on the topic of "Kindle Touch Hacking".
(Click the link in my signature to get a statement of my feelings of using that word in the context of this forum.)
<rant> ... </rant>

All Kindles starting with the PW2, so far, use the i.MX6SL version of the NXP(.com)* SoC.
And with the exception of the Oasis, have the same serial port connector pad/connector pin-out.

It would be a "good idea" (tm) to start a "Kindle i.MX6SL Reference" Wiki page.
Right now, it might only have three links back into the forum -
Serial Debricking, Recovery with Fastboot, and the Initializing a eMMC replacement threads.

That would be the place to put your findings, not scattered about in posts of this forum.
And other people could help out by adding to the new topic page.

* Formally: Freescale, Formally: Motorola
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote