View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is multitouch? Who makes the action triggers for them? (does the content creator do this?) For hyperlinks in ibooks, will the user merely need to touch on the relevant words? Or is it less direct?
Multitouch just means that when you use multiple fingers on the screen at the same time, you can use the positions of those touches to decide what action the screen will take. For example, you can use your thumb and forefinger to "pinch or spread" an image to enlarge or shrink it.

The "action triggers", so to speak, are created by whoever wrote the app you're reading in. For example, Lexcycle decided that in Stanza, sliding a finger down the center will lower the brightness, and from right to left will turn the page. In other apps on the iPhone these gestures do different things. I haven't seen any use of real multi-touch in eBook apps, only single touch (one finger, not two+).

On the iPhone, you open a link by touching it. That's it.

Quote:
My guess is that users will grow tired of switching between readers and opt for the one which supports the biggest variety. I'd like to think that epub will be the format of the future, but I doubt that NYT or Newsweek (for example) would like that.
I'm definitely tired of switching readers. I would stick with Stanza, but each bookstore uses its own DRM. This means I have to open B&N books in the B&N app, Kindle books in the Kindle app, and Apple books in the Apple app.

I don't know why any newspapers would have a problem with ePub. It's a very versatile format.

Last edited by nikkie; 02-06-2010 at 01:23 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote