View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've been using Garmin for over 20 years. You can't really beat them for the price. The standalone GPS devices like TomTom, Garmin, etc. will always be a better, more reliable, more accurate means to navigating a vehicle are yourself. They are designed with good GPS chips that have everything they need to navigate. Cellular phones don't have true GPS like the above mentioned devices. They instead rely heavily on supplemental location information derived from cellular tower locations.

Bottom line, if you are serious about navigation use a GPS unit by Garmin or some other reputable company, not a cellular phone. The iPhone and Android phones do a lot of things well, but navigation isn't one of them.
The gps in the phone is a real gps. So I do not understand what you mean. A car gps usually have a better antenna then the one in the phone but that is another thing. And with a phone you can use data from the net to get the initial fix. And I compared Google navigation to a Garmin and did not see any quality differences in the routing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote