View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I know. When I hear people say they have to write because of the voices in their heads, I get a little weirded out, but as best I can tell they are serious.

I don't think I can imagine characters so real they talk to me or have their own emotions/drives. And I also think those that work that way are really doing it subconsciously and working things out. .... but yeah, schizophrenic...
I don't literally hear the voices, but sometimes it doesn't feel far away from that. I think it's just a frame of mind thing.

When I'm programming I usually* sit there on the outside of a new problem and think things through logically: I break each piece down smaller and smaller until I get something I can write, and then I write all those small pieces and put them together until I get the big result. So I know how such things can work, but when I tried writing stories that way all I got was text that sounded like one of my software manuals.

My best writing seems to come when I immerse myself in a scene. It doesn't feel like an intellectual exercise**, though of course it must be. I let my mind do whatever it is that it does, without consciously trying to force the steps - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but, if I can't place myself inside the story nothing happens. To me the experience, that feeling of involvement, is a little like reading a very good book, but more intense and over a much longer period. I suspect it is that very similarity that drives me to write: I want to repeat that experience, I'm addicted. But it doesn't just happen, it doesn't always come, so I have to keep striving at it, looking to find that place again.

As an ostensibly logical person, I need to be for my paid work, I know that what I describe for writing sounds strange, perhaps even schizophrenic. It certainly took me by surprise when it first started happening for me. It's almost like reverting to childhood and the ad-hoc games I used to play (my sister reminded me of this recently) pretending to be Zorro or Tarzan. I never cared, back then, whether the imagined events made any sense to anyone on the outside, that didn't matter, the mind just came up with the next bit as needed. Now I let much the same happen, the difference being that I come back later to see if it worked.

* As I suspect may also be true of writing books, but I haven't been doing it as long as I've been writing software, different programming problems can respond better to different methods of attack - but again it's often a personal thing.

** Of course there are deliberate intellectual aspects to writing - the review and editing processes, the checking that what has been written is logical and consistent and so on - although some of this happens almost automatically as I re-read what I've written almost constantly as a way putting myself back in the story.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote