View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Happily voted for the iPhone. Single greatest device I've ever used short of an actual computer.

I've had plenty of smart phones, pdas, treos, etc... never had a single one that I loved using as much as the iPhone. Why? Because it's actually usable without making me want to throw it through a nearby window.

The lack of SDK at launch sucked, but hacking my iPhone has been easy and given me lots of great new apps. The whole 3G business never concerned me. I've wifi almost everywhere I go, and for everything but web surfing (not something I do a WHOLE lot of on the iPhone, i tend to google for one particular thing and use that. 2g works just fine for that) the upgraded Edge works pretty well. And the wifi is FAST - even though my old Windows Mobile phone had wifi it was still at a crawl. The Edge network works faster on the iPhone as well.

It does everything I need it to do and does it well. Notes, weather, calendar, email, web, flash cards, RSS, IM, wikipedia, movie times, Amazon, voice notes, nice Facebook access, an ebook reader (good for reference books), the incredibly useful maps feature, calculator, great google tools interface, alarm, the occasional game or video, and it plays my music wonderfully. And Apple is constantly adding new functionality and features, so I'm happy. And all those features are a pleasure to use. It's fast, it's intuitive and I've not had any problems syncing my data.

It's not perfect. But having tried almost every other device on that list, nothing else really gets close. In my opinion, at least. No one product is for everyone, but I don't think it's unfair for people to make it their pick - most everyone I know who has one absolutely loves it and we're not all mindless apple fan boys. My mom got one for Christmas, and absolutely adores it (and she doesn't follow this stuff at all.) My old HTC or Treo isn't even in the same league.

N95 is very nice. But having played with one for a bit I still greatly prefer the iPhone. Given this is apple's first time out in this field, I'm very excited to see what future versions hold. If another product comes out that kicks its butt - great, then I'll get one of those.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote