View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
shu246
shu246 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Extracting illustrations from commercial books

Have Kindle 3, about a month now; still learning. Loaded a bunch of public domain books. plus one purchased from Amazon.

Unless I missed some instruction, the Kindle just does not do illustrations well. For those books which have illustrations, there seems to be no way to zoom in and pan around.

OK, I can live with that for the free books. But it will be a severe limitation when it comes to buying books.

In particular, I was looking at "Crucible of War" on Amazon; a book about the 7 years war. Amazon offered a sample for download, which I took. The sample included what would have been a very useful and informative map; but not at the scale and resolution of the K3 screen.

If the maps and other illustrations could be extracted and viewed on a PC, that would be OK. The Amazon Kindle PC reader would not open the sample.

I dug into one of the free books, Capt' Bligh's "Voyage to the South Seas..." narration of the Bounty with the Amazon Kindle PC reader. The maps and drawings were marginally clearer than on the kindle, but still not legible; still not useful.
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote