View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
samalex
samalex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions about reading eBooks on DroidX

Hey Guys --

I've been bouncing between the idea of getting a Nook or Kindle 3, but now that my wife has a DroidX I'm seriously thinking of getting that instead. For anyone who reads books on a DroidX or similar phone I have some questions:

- Do you have any eye straining or problems reading on a back-lit screen? That's one reason I was thinking of going with an e-ink based reader, but being a DBA i look at an LCD screen all day and I guess it doesn't bother me. But thought I'd ask.

- I've tested the Kindle App on my wife's DroidX and it's nice, but are there any advantages or disadvantages with using the Kindle App on Android over having it on a Kindle device? Are any ebooks color?

- Is the 4.7" screen too small? I read lots of paperbacks, so my initial thought with the Kindle 3 was the 6" screen was perfect, but for anyone used to reading hardbacks or paperbacks have problems reading full books on the 4.7" DroidX screen? I've found I can read better with white text on black background using the Kindle app, but any other suggestions?

- I've seen that Overdrive has an Android app, but how well does it work?

- Is there a good eReader app for Android that works with Calibre? I've started cataloging all my books in Calibre with the anticipation of getting a Kindle, so can these sync to the DroidX or any Android phone just as they would to a Nook or Kindle? Also what about ePub and Mobi support?

- Battery life is a concern, so how many hours can you read on your Android device (specifically the DroidX) without needing a charge?

- Is there anything else I'm missing? Pros or Cons with using a DroidX or any Android-based phone as an eReader?

Thanks for any help with answering these questions. Take care ---

Sam
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote