View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #345
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wish that voting didn't require discussion. Looking back over the past couple of months, about one third of posters only had two posts or less. And there seems to be a couple at the top who have a significant greater number of posts.

So where are the people who really want a discussion?
I don't see the point at all of having a vote without a discussion. Going through all of that for a popularity contest? Why? We've been over this ground so many times before.

As for your second para, I think it's a lot of things. I think the idea of a book club might appeal to some more than the reality of reading the books and showing up. Real life can intervene. There's not the same social suasian as with a real-time, real-life meeting and with pizza, too. The choices are almost by definition going to be a compromise, and some don't want to compromise. I could go on. The short answer, of course, is no discussion, no club. So as long as enough people show up, we can have a club. I wish we could get more interested or encourage more people to more than perfunctory participation, and that's why we're asking. I'm frustrated by your comment which seems only critical and not constructive, especially after you've said in so many words that you're not interested in discussing the books, anyway.

That said, if anyone wants to help influence the outcome but doesn't want to commit, they can always participate in the nomination process.

I'd prefer not to have another discussion of voting as a commitment. I don't think it serves a purpose.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote