View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Beware of using that kind of font, though. It is not recommended to use font with a non-standard character map, i.e. an "A" should always look like an "A", and not some ornament or dingbat. For that, a font should use the appropriate Unicode point or the private plane.
True, but for scene/chapter breaks and such, if you choose carefully, you can use a decorative font's alternative glyph for asterisk, dash, emdash, etc. Those would degrade gracefully if the embedded font is not honored/used.

Another alternative which I am exploring is a freeware font editor called TypeLight from http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html.

The feature list is pretty impressive: you can use it to create fonts or edit existing fonts, convert between ttf and otf, and more. (They also offer a trial of the Pro version, which is not time-limited, and supposedly only feature-limited in that it will only save the first 50 characters of the font.)

I have barely begun to use TypeLight, but I am going to try to create some small fonts with decorative glyphs and see how it works out.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote