View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

And Alex, like JSWolf said, once you split those files into separate HTML files, there just isn't much you can do. Each HTML file starts on its own page, you don't have control over that. It just so happens to be one of the quirks of reading systems we have to live with.
Thanks for all your other comments. But I'm afraid I don't agree with the above part of your response. There are no chapters in Cousin Pons. The Project Gutenberg version opens with the first line, and one can read to the end of the book without starting a new file. I've opened it up, and there are several HTML files within it. And Crutledge's version of A Distinguished Provincial in Paris in the MR library also does not have any chapters, and does include several HTML files containing successive parts of the story. But the text as read on my Sony is continuous, as it was in Balzac's original book.

I think the answer is in the content.opf file, and am trying to decipher the structure of Crutledge's ebook. But it was done in Sigil, (which I don't use) so it's hard to know what makes the difference.

And thanks to everyone else who responded to my post yesterday. So far as italics and diacritics are concerned I think it's part of my job to check with the original, and insert them where necessary.

Last edited by AlexBell; 04-20-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added more text
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote