View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #426
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Correct.
On my Sony T1, I use coolreader 3 in dual column landscape mode using the Georgia family as my default font. If the epub has a hard-coded font, there is a switch to disable the internal CSS and use *my* defaults.
On Android, you create a /fonts folder in the root of the sdcard and the ttf fonts you put there are available for most of the apps that support it.
This is great. I was already going to go with android anyways, but this just cements my decision.

Will this also work with the Nexus 7 which doesn't have a card slot? I assume a fonts folder can be placed somewhere in the internal storage?

Quote:
And you can disable all the faux-pbook animations; no silly page turns of slides. Just tap and the next page just pops in. Much more immersive.
I very much like the faux animations, especially the one which replicates a page turn. For me, it makes reading seem more book-like and I forget I am reading on an electronic device.

Quote:
Me, I'm in the market for a hardcover class color reader and I had an eye on the Mini until I saw the price. Of course, if there truly isn't a single reader app that supports installable ttf fonts, that right there it's a non-starter even if the price drops or the screen improves. (Thanks for the warning.)
Not only is there no reading app into which you can import your own font, but Stanza is no longer officially supported for iOS. They reluctantly put out a version compatible with iOS 5 about a year ago, but they warned that no further updates will be made. Hence it is not compatible with the current iOS 6 or iPad Mini.

The choice of third party reading apps for iOS is really pitiful, and I've never understood why someone hasn't developed a better one yet to at least equal Stanza.

Quote:
After the last week's announcements I'm converging onto either the Nook HD+ or FireHD 9. The Nook has the sdcard and is cheaper, the Fire *definitely* lets me load the reading apps I want. I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on them to test ergonomics and build quality, especially rigidity, but I can probably live with either.
Yes, the new Nooks look interesting. While their ecosystem is still being panned in recent reviews, most reviewers are praising their screens, especially the one on the 7" model. I am considering it (along with the N7) but I will wait to hear how feasible it is to side load and use android apps that are not in B&N's store. That will be key.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote