Thread: Trim it back
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
Trim it back

Today I've been working on a draft for a story, which will hopefully become the final draft, and my main objective has been trimming back overgrowth in my sentences. The bad thing about this story is that I wrote it while going through a phase where I wanted more complex and interesting sentence structure, to some degree that worked, but it also resulted in a lot of unwieldy sentences that went on far too long. Also, a lot of bloated sentence with too many words.

So, I've been cutting and I realized all over again how much fun that is to do. It sounds odd, but it's almost like a game for me. I try to make my sentences as short as possible, while still retaining all the important information. It all stems back to a kick in the backside I got from someone whom I let read an excerpt, they pointed out that my sentences were looking a little rough around the edges. Sometimes, you really do need that kind of thing.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote