View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #877
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Oooh! I love what's been done with regular expression metadata stuff. Being able to specify which metadata bits should have changes is excellent, especially as we keep adding more metadata that can be downloaded. (And thanks to seabream for sharing a sample from personal.ini. I'd love to see more sharing of personal.ini stuff as I imagine many of us are making the same sorts of changes and duplicating effort as far as changing "Harry P. to Harry Potter" and other things like that. Also gives me ideas for tweaks to my own.)

+ + +

On a different topic . . . file formats. I prefer having most fanfic I download in both epub and mobi format as I've been known to read fic on Kindle, Nook, and iPad because I'm a geek like that or indecisive or something. (I also sometimes have other formats if someone's made a pretty PDF available or whatever. But mostly I use mobi and epub.)

I usually download epub using this plug-in. I have been known to later do a search to find all fic where I have epub and not mobi and then go and update those fics (without updating metadata or covers) and grab the mobi version. Which means I'm downloading them twice. Other times I've used calibre to convert epub to mobi.

What I'm curious about is: what's the fastest and best way to do this? Converting within calibre? Downloading twice via plug-in from AO3 or whatever? (Is there a better way? I doubt it would save much in the way of resources to have an option to grab both mobi & epub, but then I'm not clear on what all happens with the plug-in behind the scenes so could be wrong there.)